sang froid

I am taking these Yoga classes every Monday, thanks to a good friend. It's an hour of good Yoga - not too easy, not too hard and overall relaxing. The room is essentially dark and there are these Christmas lights kinda things that are along the corners of the floor which makes for a very cosy/holiday-ey setting. Anyways, at the end of the session, our instructor usually does a short reading. Now, I will admit that back in the day I was very supercilious about this whole business. I'd think "These hippies - trying to make Yoga sound all hippy-ey..." but I'm a calmer, wiser person now. Also, I've realized that I was acting like a jerk. Let me make this clear - there definitely are some yoga places that are messed up. The crazy ones with the room temperature set to a 100 degrees or the "power" ones where they try to add a whole cardio element to the session and end up making you feel more stressed than when you started - I am still supercilious about them. But the ones that generally mean well and occasionally go overboard with their "Let's hug everyone we see and make the world a better place"  - their heart is generally in the right place. Maybe a little high, but generally OK. But coming back to the case in point - the instructor does a reading. And today, she talked about happiness and happy people. And then, she asked us to pay attention and think of all the times in the day when we laughed or smiled and what made us do that. I extended this to mean all the times in the day I was happy and who/what the cause was. Here is what I came up with : 
  • F, SP and C ( that's right - I put the kitties before C but I am sure he'll agree with me. They are just obscenely cute and incredibly soft)
  • Bill Bryson ( In A Sunburnt Country is by far, the best book I've bought randomly. I was at a bookstore years ago browsing through the books on a table and picked this one up and read the first page. I was laughing out loud by the end of the first paragraph so I had to buy it. Turns out, he is a wonderfully witty and humorous writer and very well known at that. And he combines two of my favorite things - travel and humor. And the best part is, we now own most/all of his books thanks to a wedding gift from a dear friend! It's pretty awesome. I am now reading "Neither here nor there".
  • My marigolds and mums - they look so bright especially on a cloudy/rainy day like today.
  • The colors all around the house and along the drive to work.
  • Figs in my salad. Real whole figs.
  • Leaving work.
  • The Yoga class.
  • Finishing up the remaining 2% Fage greek yogurt and attacking the container with various implements (including fingers - I never promised this blog won't get gross) until it was squeaky clean. If you haven't ever had 2% Fage greek yogurt and are wondering what the big deal is, let me tell you this : this is what would happen to a yogurt if it led a generous, wholesome and irreproachable life and it died and went to heaven and was rewarded for it - it would become 2% Fage greek yogurt. Unless it sacrificed itself and saved humanity multiple times. In which case, it would become Plain (full fat) Fage greek yogurt.
Interesting - I think I spent more words on the last entry than on all the others. Oh well.

When I started this post, I wanted the talk about the yoga class to be a preamble to the main part of the blog but as usual, I seemed to have run away with it. So maybe I'll talk about my weekend projects in my next post, OK? Cool. 

And so, happily, to bed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Metronome

fractious

orphic