Rannygazoo

You may have heard of housemaid's knee. And tennis elbow and tailor's seat. Well, I have a needy-cat's lap. Ever since C went off on his work trip to the other side of the globe, every time my rear hits a flat surface, there's little F is my lap. In fact, she is on my lap right now purring up a storm. At this point, I believe she's doing it just to spite me.

It's been a good weekend again - I didn't rake any more leaves, though. If you want to know why, I should tell you about The Tragedy. Harden your heart before you proceed.
Last weekend was lovely. Both Saturday and Sunday mornings turned out be fine, sunny, crisp Fall mornings with just the right temperature to wear a light jacket or a full sleeved shirt and work in the yard. Brimming with enthusiasm and pleasant thoughts, I spent 2-2.5 hours each day raking in the leaves in the front and side yards, loading up the wheel barrow and making several trips to the woods behind the house to dump the raked leaves. I was tired at the end of it but felt good about a good deed done. I knew that more leaves would be down in no time but I figured that it'd be a very tough job for us to rake all the leaves in one final cleanup once C is back. This sanguine mood did not even fade when I discovered Monday morning that my neck and upper back were pretty sore from all the raking.  Or when they continued to be sore for the next couple of days. Or when a whole bunch of leaves fell down during the week pretty much obliterating my work. All good results need hard work, I told myself. Picture my reaction then, when on arriving home on Wed  this week, I noticed that something was amiss and realized, as I walked to the door, that the whole front yard, side yard and even back yard was leaf-free! For a minute, I panicked and thought that my neighbors, noticing the slow progress I had made over the weekend, cleared the whole thing using leaf blowers and such. Then I noticed the pattern - the pattern on the grass that our lawn mower guys make. They had cleared all the leaves, either by accident or by intent. And they probably took less than an hour to do that. Obviously, this realization had a pretty serious impact on me. I felt like a prize ass. And hence, my dear friend, there was no more rakage this weekend.

Going back to this weekend,  I got some quality time at home to do some much needed cleaning, some book reading, some movie watching and a good couple of hours walking in the woods around my place with A.   This was just what the doctor ordered after a long week. I wouldn't call myself an introvert but someone who needs copious amounts of me time to recover from social activities. Don't get me wrong - I like hanging out and doing everyday fun things with friends. I just need to balance it out with random solo activities like raking leaves for no good reason. But hush, we shall not speak of that anymore.

And so goes the evening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Metronome

fractious

orphic