Festal


So to celebrate being done with regimented-weekends-dedicated-to-wedding-planning-and-seeing-everything-in-terms-of-to-do lists, I decided to indulge in that hobby on mine : spending a lot of time and effort in doing something a wee bit craftsy, even if there  no immediate need for/benefit from it, just because I decided it was a good idea and have some time. C has had these two behemoth candles for a while. They are of a Lime Mojito flavor which I am not particularly partial to. I've lit these whenever I got a chance since I've known him and they just will not be done. Every time I light 'em for a while and get encouraged by the sight of all that molten wax, they just solidify back up without any significant reduction in the quantity. You see, these candles are housed in big glass jars. So, a while ago I devised a scheme to rid us of them without making me feel guilty for throwing away a perfectly good thing. I decided I would throw away the wax ( so a little bit of guilt is still involved) and use the glass jar as a doorstop. And the weekend before last, I put my plan into execution. Some vigorous googling brought up a couple of good posts about how one could get go about getting wax out of a glass container - freeze if small amounts, pour boiling water if bigger amounts and if dealing with about a metric ton of it, as in my case, repeat boiling water process about a half dozen times. Of course, C got involved once he saw that boiling water was required in the process (he's learnt from experience that I should rarely be allowed to be in the kitchen unsupervised) and helped me out quite a bit. Once the last bits of wax had floated on top of the water and were discarded, I quickly cleaned up the jar with a paper towel and voila, we had a shiny, clean glass jar. After this, all I had to do was fill up the jar with all the pebbles and shells I've collected in my beach trips and ta-da - we had a new doorstop!

So we went from 

to
and finally installed it like this 

And just for fun, here are some pictures of my happy flowers 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Metronome

fractious

orphic