Sunspots and such

So I finally decided to get down to writing that first blog today. Having spent about 2 hours in the morning and 2.5 hours this evening fighting rush hour traffic around Boston (long story), I gave up on working out today. So I decided that I'd sit down and write that first blog. Instead, I ate cookies - multiple cookies, one after the other. Then I had to eat some Cheetos just to get the sweet taste out of my mouth. I had just decided last evening that I've been eating too much junk food over the last few weeks and that I would give up junk until I was done running my marathon at the end of October. And here I was - going through junk by the pound. Oh well, I'll just eat my way through everything that I have at home and never buy junk again and live happily ever after. Yeah right, like that's going to happen.

Anyways, continuing my story: after zipping through those cookies I caught the last 10 minutes of an episode of Two and a Half Men (that's a funny show). Now, I was all set to sit down and start typing. Nope. Time to take a shower. 20 minutes later, I open up blogger.com on my laptop and am all set to start blogging except for the final hurdle. I need to pick a name for my blogspot. The first things that come to my mind are those thingies - you know how when you look at the sun or look at something very bright and close your eyes, you see these little bright colored spots, these little explosions of your color in your eyes? Those things. Except, I couldn't remember what you call those things. For some reason, my brain kept coming up with the word sunspots. But sunspots are spots on the sun, not these bright colors thingies ( I know, I like saying the word thingie). 30 minutes spent googling on strings like "look at sun color spots", "bright colors sun spots", "when you look at bright lights", etc and reading up on how it is very dangerous to look at the sun directly. All the while, I'm watching "Ugly Betty" in the background. I've never watched a single episode of Ugly Betty before and had always assumed that it was a comedy. Apparently not. This episode must have been a season finale or something 'cause it ended with all the usual cliff-hangers : the girl is rushing to the airport to stop the guy she loves, some guy got shot while his fiancee is preparing for their wedding the next day, somebody met with an accident, some convicts escaped, etc, etc. I can see how they have the stage completely set for the next season. Again, I digress.

Coming back to my story again. Now, I've given up on the sunspots theory and have come up with at least 20 other names, all of which blogger.com claims to have been taken. Now I can only think of dragonflies. Why? Who knows? Who knows why I think of anything. Now, I've hit a namer's block and can't think of a single name for my blogspot. I get comfy on the couch and start getting caught up in "Grey's Anatomy" which is airing next. An hour later, I've had dinner (yes, I had dinner in spite of eating multiple cookies just an hour ago and yes, it makes me nauseous too), I've watched the entire episode of GA and I'm still getting nowhere with the blog. Only change is status is that I'm now blowing my nose 'cause I was sobbing in the last 10 minutes of that blasted GA episode. I have to admit it. From all that I've seen, blogging seems to be an honest profession. So I must confess - I am a serious TV crier. Give me anything on TV and if there's even an ounce of sentiment in it, I will cry. It's inexplicable. So, here I am, watery eyed and red nosed but still no progress on my blog. At this point, I shut off the TV (God, that felt good), focused on my laptop and got started.

But I was stuck again. You see, I hadn't really decided what to write about. My mind, as usual, had moved on and was now focused on my big toe nail. In the three and a half months since I started training for the marathon, this is the third time I am losing a toe nail - the whole entire nail. It's from all the running and all the friction that the toes get from being in shoes for so long. I have no idea why I'm telling you about this. In fact, I should just have gone on and named this blog "The 10 most nauseating things you can say in your first blog". Anyways, I knew I couldn't write an entire blog on how ugly my toes were, or even my feet. So, I just decided that I would tell the story of the blog. How this blog came to be.

That's the story then, of my first blog. I had actually planned on starting this blog a couple of months ago and write about my marathon preparation but that didn't happen. I do hope to talk mostly abt the marathon, though, in my coming blogs. So, if you've read this one, you should be brave enough to read them too. They can't get any yuckier :-)

Comments

SK said…
hehehe, welcome to the blogosphere! naming a blog is a rite of passage - the birth pains that come with any new blog...inevitably ending in much frustration, disappointment and a blog name that has no inkling of relevance to the content therein. kudos on getting thru all that!
oh, and those little explosions of color? those are the rods and cones in your eyes dying out...i guess i would call them going blind:)

Popular posts from this blog

Metronome

fractious

lynchpin