Shin splints and warm nights

I just thought I'd write another quick post abt my running over the last two days. After last Saturday's 20 mile run, my legs were in bad shape. The ITB on my left leg was acting up and my right shin hurt - it really hurt. I came home and pretty much limped around all of Sat'day and Sunday. On Monday, I got myself a calf/shin support wrap - a Velcro contraption that goes around my shin/calf and started using it right away. I also started icing my shin. And I rested. I did absolutely nothing on Monday and Tuesday except go to work, come back and do some household chores. On Wednesday, my legs were feeling better and I decided to test them out with a short run. I played it safe and decided to run on the treadmill. This way, if my legs hurt after running a couple of miles, I was not a couple of miles away from my car :) I started out a little stiff and my shins hurt a little but after a mile or so, it started getting better. At around 3.5 miles, I was warmed up and feeling better but I didn't want to push it so I just cooled down with another mile and a slower pace. I spent 40 minutes stretching after that and felt great. It is an amazing feeling when you get a good nice stretch especially when your muscles are sore. And once you have seen the pain of shin splints, you really appreciate it when you don't have the pain :) I walked out to the parking lot after that and the scene was simply beautiful. It was a warm night, in the upper 70s I guess and there was a nice breeze blowing. There was a full moon (or something very close to it) in the cloudless sky and all the trees in the parking lot were rustling agreeably - in conversation with the crickets and other night life. I walked, not limped, to my car and I felt great. It was the last week of September in Boston, MA and I was walking to my car in my shorts and tee on a gorgeous moonlight night with not a hint of cold. Life is full of little miracles.

Today too, I worked the exercise bike for abt 40 mins and got a nice long stretch before I set off home. And I came out at roughly the same night. It was another warm night and though the moon was hiding behind some clouds, the night was just as beautiful. There was a hint of rain in the wind, - a smell of it, that beautiful, heady smell. I would have loved to walk the 3.5 miles to home but it was dark and my car was out there so I had to be content with just smiling all the way back home as I drove. And then I came home and checked my mailbox and found a letter from my friend with a donation check for my marathon. Life is wonderful.

Comments

SK said…
warm nights and beautiful moon indeed...i was equally captivated by that beautiful balmy evening (wednesday), strange coincidence but then we live on the same planet. apparently, it's no moon - it's a...harvest moon!

Popular posts from this blog

Metronome

fractious

lynchpin