Appurtenances

1. After not having "found the time" to dig up my old resume over my two month sabbatical, I managed to locate it in my Yahoo mail in the last 5 mins before I left work. Says something about motivation, doesn't it?

2. When I stepped out from work in my running clothes, it started drizzling very lightly and I ran scared to the gym to run on the treadmill. 4 miles and 40 mins later, I was sweaty as hell and nursing a blister as I walked out to a breezy, cool, still-very-slightly-drizzling evening. Bad decision all around.

3. For various reasons that we will not get into here I decided to install an IDE that will help me write/build/debug/run C programs efficiently. After abt 30 mins of googling and reading forums,  I decided to install the free Visual Studio Express trial version. After installation, it asked me to register it at Microsoft using a link which I dutifully clicked on. It asked me to log in. I wasn't sure if I had an account so I decided to sign up anyways and immediately it took me to a garbled HTML page, followed by an error page claiming I'd tried to sign up too many times today. !!?!!
Anyways, I battled on regardless and managed to get the installation done but after spending 20 mins on the IDE, I still couldn't get it to work. This is probably more a reflection of my skills than the IDE. In my curious manner, I promptly moved to downloading another IDE -  the open source Code::Blocks software which was another source of pleasure. Anyways, after spending a couple of hours on it, I have my first Hello World program working. My guess is that my interest in this project will last about 3 days.

4. Just as I was about to type up this post, I noticed that there were a couple of comments awaiting moderation - Whaaaaa! that NEVER happens. Because no one EVER bothers to comment. So I immediately read them and was very pleasantly surprised to see that it was my old friend G! (The friendship is old, not she). So awesome to hear from you, G - will write to you soon!

5. So A sent an email this morning sharing some of his recent conversations with my little nephew, V. These conversations are always priceless and I was laughing out loud as I was reading them. That made me think of some of my conversations with C.


Me (just having finished an exhausting 4.5 mile run after very recently starting running again) : I wonder what pain in the right side of the chest means ...
C (without missing a beat): It means that you are out of shape.

Me (excited at my first sights of the South Island of New Zealand, and Christchurch in particular, from my window seat as our plane prepared to land there) Wow! How beautiful is that? I can't believe we're here!
C (sitting next to me): I can't see with your fat head in the way.

Me (staring moodily at the clouds and light rain through the windshield as we started our road trip of the South Island) : What's with this weather?
C (sagaciously) : South Island is pi**ing on us.

Me (resting close by after finishing almost half of our long hike and finally finding and using a pit toilet on the trail)
Loud Thud!
Me : What was that?
C (in sotto voice) : I fell in.
!!?!!

And so amused-ly to bed (after a wee bit more C programming)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Metronome

fractious

lynchpin