instauration : Day 1

I am sitting on my couch (tangent : Much to my distress and dismay, I recently found out that the piece of furniture I've owned for more than 4 years now is a loveseat and not a couch(!) How I could have owned a loveseat for 4+ years is beyond me. It probably has something to do with His sense of irony. Anyhoo, I choose to ignore this fact and still call it my couch. Come on. Seriously, how can I ever frame a serious sentence with "I am sitting on my loveseat ..." ?? : end of tangent) after a late dinner - perfectly happy with life, people and the world at large. The late dinner was preceded by a late run. I had a super long drive back home this evening but since then, things improved significantly. AJ unexpectedly joined me on my run - I don't usually run with a buddy 'cause I am much better off with my ipod or my own thoughts but this turned out to be quite fun. We managed to run ~ 6 miles and had a very pleasant conversation as we most often do. And now the breeze from my open window informs me that this is going to be a pleasant night. Pleasantness (I think it should be called Pleasance) abounds.

And now to the point. El Punto. Lately I feel that I'm drifting. No, don't mistake me - I am just as lucky as ever and have been having quite some fun. But, I feel like I am sorta disconnected. Like I've lost my internal compass. Now, maybe this is just my lazy soul crying out for a vacation, or the hypochondria of a comfy, largely problem-free life(touch wood) or pre birthday jitters - but I am not entirely sure. So I've decided I need a new phase. We all know how much I love my phases. So, here it is. Are you ready? DRUMROLL
...
...
...
presenting
...
...
...
500 days of summer
(plus 15 days of down time/vacation)

Now, dear reader, I see that you have two questions:
1) What the squash does this 500 days of summer involve?
2) What the deuce is up with the (plus 15 days of down time/vacation)?

Two very good questions. Here are the answers :
1) 500 days of summer is 500 days. Of summer. As in a summery attitude. Of fun. Of life. Of complete immersion in life. Of being fully involved in whatever I do. Of doing what I want to do. Of no indifference. Of following all those crazy ideas that I have in my head that are best left unfollowed. Of immersion in all the consequences of that - embarrassment, sticky situations, lots of laughter, permanent psychological damage (but hopefully no restraining orders :-) )

2) So here's the deuce. 500 days from today is Dec 16th, 2011. What kind of phase ends on Dec 16th, 2011? But if you added a standard ~2 week down time/vacation to it, we end up with a nice date like Dec 31st, 2011. Now, you see.

What's that? Another question? How is this phase different from the many many phases that you've tried/started before, you say? The difference lies in the fact that for the first time, this phase is not about the results. It is about the process. The journey. I don't plan to have achieved anything by Jan 1st, 2012 - except still being around, that is. And I kinda like the whole no-emphasis-on-the-results mantra.


So, there you go. That's the current status. Day 1 just ended 20 mins ago and I think it was a great start. 499 days to go (plus 15 days of down time/vacation).

What do you guys think? You think I'll make it?

Before I end this very long post, here's a random fact for the day.
Apparently Orangutons are pound-for-pound, the most (or at least one of the most) energy efficient animals around. There, I've enriched your lives in some fashion now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Metronome

fractious

lynchpin