zeitgeist : Day 24

I've thought about writing multiple times over the last 3 weeks and things always got in the way. These 21 days can be easily summarized, though - I have been a happy camper. What have I been up to?

- I signed up for a half marathon in Grand Rapids, Michigan and tried to get my running pursuits into a semblance of a training schedule. In this process, I accidentally ran ~9.5 miles one weekend (planned to run 7) and laboriously ran 8 miles the next weekend. Both times, I ran pretty late in the morning and could be pronounced "medium rare" by the end of the run. Oh well - hopefully, I have learnt the lesson and will get my derriere out of zhe bed at an early enough hour.

- I managed to not go to bed before 1 am on all days of the weekends. Good, fun times with friends. As a side note, I now believe that you can tell a person's true age based on their opinion of sleep. Mine is a deep, abiding respect and a love, in the full sense of the word. No, seriously - think about that warm spot just below your pillow and below the comforter where your head rests comfortably after hitting the snooze button on the alarm - if that ain't love, I don't know what love is.

- A globe entered my life. This is big. Right from the time I first noticed and saw a globe up close, in the library of my school (some time around my 5th grade, I guess), I have been in love with globes. And the concept of owning one such. Now, why I took all these years to acquire one is one of those unfathomable facts. I did try, a couple of times (there's a blog somewhere out there in my archives that talks abt this) but was unsuccessful. Then there was the unfortunate case of B gifting me a globe of like 4" diameter where the equator cut through most of Africa. Finally, the globe of my dreams, with blue oceans and water bodies has arrived. I gave the UPS guy who delivered it one of my biggest smiles ever and literally jumped for joy when I opened the box ( even though I had ordered it myself - yes, I get super girly when it comes to packages delivered in mail). So basically, I have been globalized (haha). I was globeless - I am globeful. I was without and now I am with globe.

- Watched a couple of real good movies. Netflix - you are awesome. More on this later

- I did some reading, did some pondering, some couch traveling and finally put my trust in the gods and forces above and bought tickets for my vacation. After 3 hectic days of getting everything together, I solemnly sent out all the docs to get a visa to this place. This is always a solemn and involved process - and warrants a separate blog post as well. Right now, we are in the thick of the finger-crossing phase hoping everything will work out in time for the vacation. We = me + Goofy, my guardian angel.

That is the update. Life is good. The moon over the Charles, warm summer evenings, places far and close, random carpool conversations, days when you don't have the cold, the harmony of running and recovery, of ice-cream and slow walks - life is filled with snippets of awesomeness.

And so, me hearties, to bed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Retro-looking brown globes are cool.

http://www.1ststoptravelstore.com/Replogle%20globes%20new%20images/31536_Lenox-world-globe.jpg

-Annonymous

Popular posts from this blog

Metronome

fractious

lynchpin