Capulet

Most everything in this wondrous world can be explained by evolution. But there are times when one just cannot deny the presence of some higher power, some One above it all. In fact, I think I have irrefutable proof for the existence of such a power. So last Friday I traveled from Portland, OR to Boston in the longest possible route. This also included a red eye flight. During this flight, I exchanged my aisle seat for a middle seat so that a Dad could sit next to his wife and 5-6 year old daughter. I didn't sleep a wink in the flight and had been tired when I boarded the flight. Through that long sleepless night, I kept thinking about that nice warm shower in my own bath (I had been away from home for 2 weeks at that point and I was really looking forward to being back in my own place) and that thought kept me strong. When the flight landed, I got out, got my baggage, hurried to the taxi stand and got a cab home as quickly as I could. As soon as the elevator reached my floor, I charged down the corridor and happily unlocked the gates to heaven and walked in. 15 mins later I was in the shower discovering that, for some reason, I couldn't get any warm water in the bath even though I had the dial turned all the way to hot. More than hot, actually. But nay, no hot water. Not even warm water. In fact, just cold water. I let some water go and then decided to go through with it in the hope that the water might turn warm midway through the shower. No. Now, tell me - how else can this extraordinary event be explained? The only, the sole, solamente explanation is that the One has an extraordinary sense of humor. Very ironic, very dry. Like that time when I came back home from an amazing 3 day (too short) vacation in Puerto Rico, managed to convince myself that I wouldn't fret about going back to work the next morning, got up all joyous the next morning, walked to my car with a spring in my step to realize ... that it had been towed.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Metronome

fractious

orphic