ab absurdo

It all started when I was 15. With her. Jane Austen. I remember seeing her books lined up in a glass cabinet at the school library - Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, Persuasion. I remember assuming that they were some boring non-fiction on exactly those subjects - sense, sensibility, pride, prejudice, persuasion and moving on without thinking twice. I should have stayed that way. I should have stuck to my Macleans and Wodehouses. No. I had to find an abridged version of the blighted novel - Pride & Prejudice in the form of a non-detailed text that was part of my brother's coursework. And I had to be overcome by this desperate urge to read the full version. And I had to read it. And fall in love with him. Mr Darcy. The most perfect of men. That alluring and evil combination of pride, brooding,stiff manners, knowledge, strong opinions, condescension towards everyone but friends, chiseled, handsome features and vast amount of wealth coupled with utter desperation and a very English cluelessness about how to approach the subject of his adoration. That alluring and evil and utterly impossible combination. Inconceivable! And that is how I fell, my friends. Instead of seeing him for the fantastic image of a fanciful mind that he was, I merely pooh-poohed his existence on the surface - all the while silently believing that he does, indeed, exist. And unicorns do too and pigs can fly.
He was and is my nemesis. Which is why, I own the 1995 BBC production of this book. Which is why I have watched several versions of Pride & Prejudice. And Sense & Sensibility. And Emma. And Persuasion. And Mansfield Park. Which is why, when I turned on the TV last night after coming back home after a long day at work, and I found yet another version of Emma playing on the PBS channel, I was unable to turn off the TV. Which is why, after "examining the workings of my heart" to borrow an expression from this very authoress, I am typing up this post on a Saturday night instead of being in deep, happy sleep (considering that I've been up since 6:30 am today).

Peace.

And so to bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Metronome

fractious

lynchpin